The Candidate

My name is Luke Walter and I am running for Union President in the Kent Union March elections. If elected, I promise to be an activist President, one that lobbies and campaigns on behalf of all Kent Union students. My personal politics are progressive, that means supporting the welfare of Kent Union students, to guarantee that their union delivers the best services it can for them.



I have a long history of visiting Parliament and lobbying Members of Parliament (MPs) on a range of issues, environmental, human rights, and defence related. In May 2008 I made a visit to the European Parliament to discuss with Members of the European Parliament (MEPs) a range of student related issues, and what students expect from their elected representatives. The result was the group of MEPs recognising the need to promote younger candidates in their respective parties, and to not confuse voter apathy with students’ genuine concern with big issues. This experience of lobbying has enabled me to make comprehensive and rational arguments on the respective issues. I am used to the ‘double speak’ that often goes on during the lobbying process, and once recognised, it is easier to counter-argue.

Voting begins from Monday 16th March, and finishes and 4pm on Friday 20th. All members of Kent Union will receive an email containing their online ballot.

I would like to wish the best of luck to all candidates, and let’s hope for a record turnout.

No comments:

Post a Comment